Illinois - Emergency Operations Plans: Policy or Plan Requirements
Illinois Compiled Statutes 105-128-25. Annual review.
(a) Each public school district, through its school board or the board’s designee, shall conduct a minimum of one annual meeting at which it will review each school building’s emergency and crisis response plans, protocols, and procedures and each building’s compliance with the school safety drill programs. The purpose of this annual review shall be to review and update the emergency and crisis response plans, protocols, and procedures and the school safety drill programs of the district and each of its school buildings. This review must be at no cost to the school district. In updating a school building’s emergency and crisis response plans, consideration may be given to making the emergency and crisis response plans available to first responders, administrators, and teachers for implementation and utilization through the use of electronic applications on electronic devices, including, but not limited to, smartphones, tablets, and laptop computers.
(b) Each school board or the board’s designee is required to participate in the annual review and to invite each of the following parties to the annual review and provide each party with a minimum of 30 days’ notice before the date of the annual review:
- (1) The principal of each school within the school district or his or her official designee.
- (2) Representatives from any other education-related organization or association deemed appropriate by the school district.
- (3) Representatives from all local first responder organizations to participate, advise, and consult in the review process, including, but not limited to:
- (A) the appropriate local fire department or district;
- (B) the appropriate local law enforcement agency;
- (C) the appropriate local emergency medical services agency if the agency is a separate, local first responder unit; and
- (D) any other member of the first responder or emergency management community that has contacted the district superintendent or his or her designee during the past year to request involvement in a school’s emergency planning or drill process.
- (4) The school board or its designee may also choose to invite to the annual review any other persons whom it believes will aid in the review process, including, but not limited to, any members of any other education-related organization or the first responder or emergency management community.
Illinois Compiled Statutes 105-128-40. Common rules.
The State Board of Education and the Office of the State Fire Marshal shall cooperate together and coordinate with all appropriate education, first responder, and emergency management officials to (i) develop and implement one common set of rules to be administered under this Act and (ii) develop clear and definitive guidelines to school districts, private schools, and first responders as to how to develop school emergency and crisis response plans, how to develop school emergency and crisis response plans, how to exercise and drill based on such plans, and how to incorporate lessons learned from these exercises and drills into school emergency and crisis response plans.