North Carolina - HE K-12 curriculum—health eating/nutrition (ES): Curricula
North Carolina General Statues 115C-81.25 Health Education
(c) The State Board of Education, through the Department of Public Instruction, shall, on a regular basis, review materials related to these objectives and distribute these reviews to local school administrative units for their information.This program includes age-appropriate instruction in the following subject areas, regardless of whether this instruction isdescribed as, or incorporated into a description of, “family life education,” “family health education,” “health education,”“family living,” “health,” “healthful living curriculum,” or “self-esteem”:
- (1) Mental and emotional health.
- (2) Drug and alcohol abuse prevention.
- (3) Nutrition.
- (4) Dental health.
- (5) Environmental health.
- (6) Family living.
- (7) Consumer health.
- (8) Disease control.
- (9) Growth and development.
- (10) First aid and emergency care, including the teaching of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and the Heimlichmaneuver by using hands-on training with mannequins so that students pass a test approved by the American Heart Association or American Red Cross. For the purposes of this subdivision, schools shall do all of the following:
- a. Use an instructional program developed by the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross, or other nationally recognized programs that is based on the most current national evidence-based emergency cardiovascular care guidelines for CPR.
- b. Maintain documentation in an electronic database that students have successfully completed CPR instruction to meet healthful living essential standards.
- c. Require successful completion of instruction in CPR to be a requirement for high school graduation by the 2014-2015 school year.
- (11) Preventing sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV/AIDS, and other communicable diseases. As used in this section, “HIV/AIDS” means Human Immunodeficiency Virus/Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
- (12) Reproductive health and safety education.
- (13) Bicycle safety