Wisconsin - Content Standards: Health
The Wisconsin Standards for Health Education provides a framework for aligning health education curriculum, instruction, and assessment. In the fall and winter of 2010/11 a team of elementary, middle school, high school, higher education health educators, and administrators created this document with the assistance of Wisconsin Health and Physical Education (WHPE); the Wisconsin Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development; the Association of Wisconsin School Administrators; and the Wisconsin Education Association Council. This team built upon the national standards and developed a rigorous K–12 learning continuum.
The new health education standards include the following components:
• Broad statements of essential student knowledge and skills.
• A rationale for each of the eight health education standards.
• Learning priorities to help school districts develop effective K–12 health education curricula.
• Focus areas to guide teachers regarding the types of health education instruction that will best help students meet the standards.
• A PK–12 learning continuum that provides grade band descriptions for each learning priority.