Illinois - Educator Preparation and Licensure: Educator Preparation Authority
Sec. 21B-5. Licensure powers of the State Board of Education.
(a) Recognizing that the education of our citizens is the single most important influence on the prosperity and success of this State and recognizing that new developments in education require a flexible approach to our educational system, the State Board of Education, in consultation with the State Educator Preparation and Licensure Board, shall have the power and authority to do all of the following:
(1) Set standards for teaching, supervising, or otherwise holding licensed employment in the public schools of this State and administer the licensure process as provided in this Article.
(2) Approve, evaluate, and sanction educator preparation programs.
(3) Enter into agreements with other states relative to reciprocal approval of educator preparation programs.
(4) Establish standards for the issuance of new types of educator licenses.
(5) Establish a code of ethics for all educators.
(6) Maintain a system of licensure examination aligned with standards determined by the State Board of Education.
(7) Take such other action relating to the improvement of instruction in the public schools as is appropriate and consistent with applicable laws.