Iowa - Community Involvement in Local Governance: Stakeholders
2018 Iowa Code 280.12 Title VII Education and Cultural Affairs Subtitle School Districts Chapter 280 Uniform School Requirements - School improvement advisory committee.
The board of directors of each public school district and the authorities in charge of each nonpublic school shall do the following:
Appoint a school improvement advisory committee to make recommendations to the board or authorities. The advisory committee shall consist of members representing students, parents, teachers, administrators, and representatives from the local community, which may include representatives of business, industry, labor, community agencies, higher education, or other community constituents. To the extent possible, committee membership shall have balanced representation with regard to race, gender, national origin, and disability.
Utilize the recommendations from the school improvement advisory committee to determine the following:
- a. Major educational needs.
- b. Student learning goals.
- c. Long-range and annual improvement goals that include, but are not limited to, the state indicators that address reading, mathematics, and science achievement.
- d. Desired levels of student performance.
- e. Progress toward meeting the goals set out in paragraphs “b” through “d”.
- f. Harassment or bullying prevention goals, programs, training, and other initiatives.
Consider recommendations from the school improvement advisory committee to infuse character education into the educational program.