West Virginia - Community Involvement in Local Governance: Stakeholders
West Virginia Code 18-5A-2. Local school improvement councils; election.
(a) A local school improvement council shall be established at every school consisting of the following:
- (1) The principal, who serves as an ex officio member of the council and is entitled to vote;
- (2) Three teachers elected by the faculty senate of the school;
- (3) One bus operator who transports students enrolled at the school and one school service person, each elected by the school service personnel employed at the school;
- (4) Three parent(s), guardian(s) or custodian(s) of students enrolled at the school elected by the parent(s), guardian(s) or custodian(s) members of the school's parent teacher organization. If there is no parent teacher organization, the parent(s), guardian(s) or custodian(s) members shall be elected by the parent(s), guardian(s) or custodian(s) of students enrolled at the school in such manner as may be determined by the principal;
- (5) Two at-large members appointed by the principal, one of whom resides in the school's attendance area and one of whom represents business or industry, neither of whom is eligible for membership under any of the other elected classes of members;
- (6) In the case of vocational-technical schools, the vocational director. If there is no vocational director, then the principal may appoint no more than two additional representatives, one of whom represents business and one of whom represents industry;
- (7) In the case of a school with students in grade seven or higher, the student body president or other student in grade seven or higher elected by the student body in those grades.
(b) Under no circumstances may more than one parent member of the council be then employed at that school in any capacity.