State law authorizes the community use of school buildings and property for recreation or other purposes.
Administrative Rules of Montana 10.55.701 Board of trustees
(2) Each school district shall make available to the staff and public:
- (l) a policy that defines the use of school facilities and resources;
Administrative Rules of Montana 10.55.908 School Facilities
(1)School facilities shall be constructed, maintained, and supervised in accordance with all applicable local, state, and federal codes, regulations, and laws.
(6) The local board of trustees shall have a written policy that defines the use of school facilities and resources.
Montana Code Annotated 20.7.801. Public recreation program authorized
(1) Any city or town, including any board of park commissioners, may expend funds from the band fund and the park fund of the city or town for the purpose of operating a program of public recreation and playgrounds and for this purpose may acquire, equip, and maintain land, buildings, and other recreation facilities. (2) Any school district may cooperate in such program.
Montana Code Annotated 20.7.804. Authority of board of public education.
In all cases where school property is utilized, the board of public education shall have authority:
- (1) to establish minimum qualifications of local recreational directors and instructors; and
- (2) to prepare or cause to be prepared, published, and distributed adequate and appropriate manuals and other materials as it may deem necessary or suitable to carry on said recreational program and to carry out the provisions of this part.
Montana Code Annotated 20.7.805. Recreational use of school facilities secondary.
The facilities of any school district operating a recreational program pursuant to the provisions of this part shall be used primarily for the purpose of conducting a regular school curriculum, and the use of school facilities for recreational purposes authorized by this part shall be secondary.