State law encourages districts to provide professional development for school personnel on youth mental health.
Code of Alabama 16-28B-8 Suicide prevention programs, training, and policies; advisory committee; liability.
- (1) The State Department of Education shall create an advisory committee consisting of practitioners and representatives from all of the following organizations:
- a. The School Superintendents of Alabama.
- b. The Council for Leaders in Alabama Schools.
- c. The Alabama Education Association.
- d. The Alabama Association of School Boards.
- e. The Jennifer Claire Moore Foundation.
- f. Other pertinent mental health and suicide prevention organizations as determined by the department.
- (2) The advisory committee shall assist the department in developing and adopting rules to provide for the training of certificated school employees in suicide awareness and prevention pursuant to subdivision (13) of subsection (a).
- (3) The department and the advisory committee may develop a list of approved training materials to fulfill the requirements of subdivision (13) of subsection (a). Approved training materials may include, but not be limited to, any of the following:
- a. Training materials that are currently being used by a local school system.
- b. Training materials that provide instruction on identifying appropriate mental health services, both within the school system and within the larger community.
- c. Training materials that may be completed through self-review.