North Carolina - School-based or School-linked Mental Health Services: Programs and Services
North Carolina General Statutes 130A-4.3. State funds for school nurses.
(b) The Division of Public Health shall ensure that school nurses funded with State funds (i) do not assist in any instructional or administrative duties associated with a school's curriculum and (ii) perform all of the following with respect to school health programs:
- (1) Serve as the coordinator of the health services program and provide nursing care.
- (2) Provide health education to students, staff, and parents.
- (3) Identify health and safety concerns in the school environment and promote a nurturing school environment.
- (4) Support healthy food services programs.
- (5) Promote healthy physical education, sports policies, and practices.
- (6) Provide health counseling, assess mental health needs, provide interventions, and refer students to appropriate school staff or community agencies.