Michigan - School Counseling Staff Qualifications: Staff Qualifications and Professional Development
Michigan Administrative Code R 390.1305 School counselor license; applicant trained in Michigan approved school counselor preparation program
Rule 5. (1) An applicant for a school counselor license who was trained in a Michigan approved school counselor preparation program shall meet all of the following requirements:
(a) Completion of the requirements set forth in section 1233(2)(b)(i) of 1976 PA 451, MCL 380.1233(2)(b)(i).
(b) Successful completion of the department's school counselor examination.
(c) Recommendation or approval by an approved school counselor preparation program to provide services as a school counselor. The recommendation or approval for the issuance of a school counselor license shall be made in a manner designated by the department.
(d) Completion of not less than 30 graduate level semester credit hours in school counseling, including an internship. Correspondence credit shall not be used to satisfy this requirement. Online and distance learning credit may be used to satisfy this requirement if it is earned at a sponsoring institution with an approved school counselor preparation program.
(e) Completion of not less than a 600-clock-hour internship with students under the supervision of a school counselor educator in an approved school counselor preparation program. At least 300 of the 600 clock hours must be in a school setting.
(2) A school counselor license expires 5 years from June 30 of the calendar year the certificate is issued.
(3) A school counselor license shall be renewed for 5 years upon application in the manner designated by the department and completion, since the issuance of the most recent school counselor license or renewal, of any combination of education-related professional learning hours, as defined in R 390.1301, totaling 150 hours.
(4) Correspondence credit does not meet the requirements for renewal of a school counselor license.
(5) Online and distance learning semester credit hours shall meet the requirements for renewal of a school counselor license if earned at a sponsoring institution with an approved school counselor preparation program or a regionally accredited college or university.
(6) An individual who holds an expired Michigan school counselor license and a valid out-of-state school counselor license and who has been employed within the validity of either license for at least 1 year in the immediately preceding 5-year period is eligible for one 5-year renewal of the Michigan school counselor license. The requirements of subrule (3) of this rule do not apply to a 1-time renewal under this subrule.