Utah - School Counseling Staff Qualifications: Staff Qualifications and Professional Development
Staff Qualifications And Professional Development
Utah Administrative Code R277-506-5. School Counslors.
There are three levels of licensure for a K-12 school counselor:
- A. The Board shall issue a School Counselor Professional Educator Level 1 License:
- (1) to counselors who are beginning their professional careers who have completed an approved 600 hour field experience (400 hours if the applicant has completed two or more years of successful teaching experience as approved by USOE licensing); and
- (2) upon completion of an accredited counselor education program; or
- (3) to candidates applying for licensure under interstate agreements.
- B. School Counselor Professional Educator License Level 2 is:
- (1) a license issued after satisfaction of all requirements for a Level 1 license and 3 years of successful experience as a school counselor in an accredited school in Utah; and
- (2) is valid for five years.
- C. Counseling Intern Temporary License is based on written recommendation from a USOE accredited program that a candidate:
- (1) is currently enrolled in the program;
- (2) has completed 30 semester hours of course work, including successful completion of a practicum; and
- (3) has skills to work in a school as an intern with supervision from the school setting and from the counselor education program.
- (a) Letters from the accredited program recommending eligible candidates shall be submitted to USOE at the beginning of each school year.
- (b) The Counseling Intern Temporary License is valid for the current year only and is not renewable.