Georgia - State Models and Supports: Model Policies, Resources, and Supports
Model Policies, Resources, And Supports
Georgia Administrative Code 160-4-8-.19. Suicide Prevention Training Requirement for Certificated School System Personnel
- (b) To assist LEAs in developing their own policies for student suicide prevention, the Georgia Department of Education (GaDOE), in consultation with the Suicide Prevention Program within the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD), shall establish a model policy for use by LEAs in accordance with O.C.G.A. § 20-2-779.1.
- (c) All certificated public school personnel shall receive annual training in suicide awareness and prevention. This training shall be provided within the framework of existing in-service training programs offered by the Georgia Department of Education or as part of required professional development offered by an LEA.
- (d) The Georgia Department of Education shall, in consultation with the DBHDD, the Suicide Prevention Program established pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 37-1-27, and suicide prevention experts, develop a list of approved training materials to fulfill the requirements of this subsection which may include training materials currently being used by an LEA if such training materials meet any criteria established by the GaDOE.
- (e) Approved materials shall include training on how to identify appropriate mental health services, both within the school and also within the larger community, and when and how to refer youth and their families to those services.
- (f) Approved materials may include programs that can be completed through self-review of suitable suicide prevention materials.