Mississippi - Staff wellness program: Program requirement
Mississippi Code. § 41-97-9 State Employee Wellness Program
(3) Creation of model program; designation of coordinator.
- (a) The department may designate a statewide wellness coordinator to create and develop for use by state agencies a model statewide wellness program to improve the health and wellness of state employees. The wellness program may include:
- (i) Education that targets the most costly or prevalent health care claims, including information addressing stress management, nutrition, healthy eating habits, alcohol and drug abuse, physical activity, disease prevention, and smoking cessation;
- (ii) The dissemination or use of available health risk assessment tools and programs, including surveys that identify an employee's risk level for health-related problems and programs that suggest to employees methods for minimizing risks;
- (iii) The development of strategies for the promotion of health, nutritional and fitness-related resources in state agencies;
- (iv) The development and promotion of environmental change strategies that integrate healthy behaviors and physical activity, including recommending healthy food choices in snack bars, vending machines and state-run cafeterias located in state buildings; and
- (v) Optional incentives to encourage participation in the wellness program, including providing flexibility in employee scheduling to allow for physical activity and participation in the wellness program and coordinating discounts with gyms and fitness centers across the state.
Part 3 Chapter 38: Healthy and Safe Schools
The major focus of school nursing services is the prevention of illness and disabilities and the early detection and correction of health problems.
The school nurse promotes and protects the health status of students and staff through functions in all areas of Coordinated School Health.
g. HEALTH PROMOTION FOR STAFF
- i. Screen and counsel school employees as needed.
- ii. Administer/provide influenza vaccinations for staff upon request.
- iii. Provide staff with in-service training programs on health-related issues
Source: State of Mississippi Secretary of State
Mississippi Code. § 37-13-134. Legislative recommendations and intent; guidelines; physical activity coordinator; qualifications; duties; study
(8) (b) The local school health council's duties shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
- (ii) Recommend appropriate practices that include a coordinated approach to school health designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease, Type II diabetes and other health risks, through coordination of:
- Staff wellness.