Indiana - Family Engagement on Chronic Absenteeism: Program requirements
Indiana Code 20-33-2-27 Compulsory attendance; parent's responsibility
(a) It is unlawful for a parent to fail to ensure that the parent’s child attends school as required under this chapter.
(b) Before proceedings are instituted against a parent for a violation of this section, personal notice of the violation shall be served on the parent by the superintendent or the superintendent’s designee:
- (1) having jurisdiction over the public school where the child has legal settlement; or
- (2) of the transferee corporation, if the child has been transferred.
(c) For purposes of this section, service of personal notice of a violation may be made upon a parent by any of the following means:
- (1) Delivering a copy of the notice to the parent personally. Personal notice shall be treated as occurring under this subdivision on the date of delivery.
- (2) Any other means of sending a copy of the notice to the parent. Personal notice shall be treated as occurring under this subdivision on the date of delivery.
- (3) Leaving a copy of the notice at the last and usual place of the residence of the parent. Personal notice shall be treated as occurring under this subdivision on the date the notice is left at the residence.
- (4) Communicating notice of the violation to the parent by any other means, if the communication is made by the superintendent for the school or the superintendent’s designee. Personal notice shall be treated as occurring under this subdivision on the earliest date that the communication is made.
If the violation is not terminated not more than one (1) school day after this notice is given, or if another violation is committed during the notice period, no further notice is necessary. Each day of violation constitutes a separate offense.