Oregon - Family Engagement Plans: Policy or Plan Requirement
Oregon Revised Statutes 329.125 Policy on Parental and Community Participation
The Legislative Assembly recognizes that students in public elementary and secondary schools can best reach the levels of performance expected under the provisions of this chapter with parental and community participation in the education process. It is, therefore, recommended but not required that:
(1) School districts provide opportunities for parents or guardians to be involved in establishing and implementing educational goals and to participate in decision-making at the school site;
(2) Employers recognize the need for parents or guardians and members of the community to participate in the education process not only for their own children but for the educational system;
(3) Employers be encouraged to extend appropriate leave to parents or guardians to allow greater participation in that process during school hours;
(4) School districts enter into partnerships with business, labor and other groups to provide workplace-based professional development opportunities for their educational staff; and
(5) School districts enter into partnerships with recreation groups, faith-based organizations, social service and health care agencies, businesses, child care providers and other groups that support children and families to create community learning centers for students, parents and members of the surrounding community.