Virginia - Parent Supports and Education Programs: Stakeholders
Code of Virginia § 22.1-253.13:7. Standard 7. School board policies.
A. Each local school board shall develop policies and procedures to address complaints of sexual abuse of a student by a teacher or other school board employee.
B. Each local school board shall maintain and follow up-to-date policies. All school board policies shall be reviewed at least every five years and revised as needed.
C. Each local school board shall ensure that policies are developed giving consideration to the views of teachers, parents, and other concerned citizens and addressing the following:
- A system of two-way communication between employees and the local school board and its administrative staff whereby matters of concern can be discussed in an orderly and constructive manner;
- The selection and evaluation of all instructional materials purchased by the school division, with clear procedures for handling challenged controversial materials;
- The standards of student conduct and attendance and enforcement procedures designed to provide that public education be conducted in an atmosphere free of disruption and threat to persons or property and supportive of individual rights;
- School-community communications and community involvement;
- Guidelines to encourage parents to provide instructional assistance to their children in the home, which may include voluntary training for the parents of children in grades K through three;