Utah - HE K-12 curriculum—benefits of physical activity (HS): Curricula
Utah State Office of Education: Secondary Health Core Curriculum
Health Education II (9th or 10th Grade)
Standard 2: Students will use nutrition and fitness information, skills, and strategies to enhance health.
Objective 1: Describe the components and benefits of proper nutrition.
- a. Describe the primary nutrients and their functions.
- b. Evaluate how the United States Department of Agriculture’s Seven Guidelines and the most current Food Pyramid can enhance proper nutritional choice.
- c. Analyze and employ healthy food choices (e.g., reading food labels, calculating calorie intake).
- d. Identify and investigate community nutritional resources.
Objective 2: Analyze how physical activity benefits overall health.
- a. Describe the elements of physical fitness (e.g., muscular strength and endurance, cardio vascular endurance, flexibility, body composition).
- b. Develop strategies for maintaining life-long fitness and avoiding the consequences of inactivity.
- c. Identify and investigate available fitness resources.
- d. Create individual fitness goals.
Objective 3: Recognize the importance of a healthy body image and develop appropriate weight management behaviors.
- a. Explain how caloric intake and energy expenditure affect body weight.
- b. Explore the short and long term effects of poor nutrition and inactivity (e.g., obesity, chronic diseases).
- c. Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of various body-weight indicators (e.g., Body Mass Index [B.M.I.], waist circumference, body fat percentage calculators).
- d. Examine the causes, symptoms, and the short and long-term consequences of eating disorders.
- e. Analyze the influence of media on body image.