Illinois - HE K-12 curriculum—comprehensive sexual HE (MS): Curricula
Illinois Administrative Code Title 23 Section 1.420 Basic Standards
Nothing in this Section shall be construed as requiring or preventing the establishment of classes or courses incomprehensive sex education or family life education as authorized by Sections 27-9.1 and 27-9.2 of the School Code.
Illinois Compiled Statutes 105 ILCS 5/27-9.1 Sex education.
- (1) Course material and instruction shall be developmentally and age appropriate, medically accurate, and complete.
- (1.5) Course material and instruction shall replicate evidence-based programs or substantially incorporate elementsof evidence-based programs.
- (2) Course material and instruction shall teach honor and respect for monogamous heterosexual marriage.
- (3) Course material and instruction shall place substantial emphasis on both abstinence, including abstinence until marriage, and contraception for the prevention of pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases among youth and shall stress that abstinence is the ensured method of avoiding unintended pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, and HIV/AIDS.
- (4) Course material and instruction shall include a discussion of the possible emotional and psychological consequencesof preadolescent and adolescent sexual intercourse and the consequences of unwanted adolescent pregnancy.
- (5) Course material and instruction shall stress that sexually transmitted diseases are serious possible hazards of sexual intercourse. Pupils shall be provided with statistics based on the latest medical information citing the failure and success rates of condoms in preventing AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases.
- (6) Course material and instruction shall advise pupils of the laws pertaining to their financial responsibility to children born in and out of wedlock.
- (7) Course material and instruction shall advise pupils of the circumstances under which it is unlawful for males to have sexual relations with females under the age of 18 to whom they are not married pursuant to Article 11 of the Criminal Code of 2012.
- (8) Course material and instruction shall teach pupils to not make unwanted physical and verbal sexual advances and how to say no to unwanted sexual advances. Pupils shall be taught that it is wrong to take advantage of or to exploit another person. The material and instruction shall also encourage youth to resist negative peer pressure.
- (9) (Blank).
- (10) Course material and instruction shall teach pupils about the dangers associated with drug and alcohol consumption during pregnancy