Utah - HE K-12 curriculum—health eating/nutrition (ES): Curricula
Utah State Office of Education: Elementary Core Curriculum. Responsible Healthy Lifestyles 3-6.
Core Standards of the Course: Nutrition and Fitness
Standard 6: The students will understand how a healthy diet and exercise can increase the likelihood of physical and mental wellness.
Objective 1: Compare personal eating habits with a balanced diet. *NU
- a. Record daily food intake.
- b. Determine a balanced diet based on the Food Guide Pyramid.
Objective 2: Identify nutrient groups and the key functions of each. *NU
- a. Identify nutrient groups; i.e., proteins, fats, water, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals.
- b. Name foods rich in key nutrients.
- c. Define the functions of basic nutrient groups.
Objective 3: Examine the dangers of dysfunctional eating.
- a. Identify common reasons for dieting; e.g., health, peer pressure, unhappy with looks and/or size, weight loss.
- b. Predict the effect fad diets may have on health.
Objective 4: Assess personal fitness level. (PE)
- a. Measure heart rate.
- b. Record the results of participation in aerobic, strength, endurance, and flexibility testing.