Utah - HE K-12 curriculum—personal health and wellness (ES): Curricula
Utah State Office of Education: Elementary Core Curriculum. Responsible Healthy Lifestyles 3-6.
Core Standards of the Course: Disease Prevention and HIV/AIDS Education
Standard 4: The students will understand concepts related to health promotion
and disease prevention.
Objective 1: Tell why HIV is difficult to contract and usually does not affect children.
- a. List ways that people cannot contract HIV.
- b. Identify ways people can avoid coming in contact with blood.
Objective 2: Demonstrate decision-making and Refusal Skills® for HIV prevention. *PD
- a. List reasons to avoid contact with blood.
- b. Identify, avoid, manage, or escape situations involving blood-to-blood contact.
Objective 3: Demonstrate proper personal hygiene and universal precautions.
- a. Demonstrate proper hand washing.
- b. Recognize importance of never touching another person’s blood and other body fluids.
- c. Describe procedure to follow in the event of a blood spill.