Michigan - HE K-12 curriculum—safety and injury prevention (MS): Curricula
Michigan Revised School Code 380.1170a Model core academic curriculum content standards for health education; subject area content expectations and guidelines for health education; instruction in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and automated external defibrillators; individuals providing instruction; use of local resources; exemption; definitions.
(1) By not later than the 2017-2018 school year, the department shall ensure that the model core academic curriculum content standards for health education and the subject area content expectations and guidelines for health education under section 1278a provide for all of the following:
- (a) Instruction in cardiopulmonary resuscitation for pupils enrolled in grades 7 to 12. Subject to subsection (5), the content standards and subject area content expectations shall ensure that the psychomotor skills necessary to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation are incorporated into the instruction and that the instruction is based on either of the following:
- (i) An instructional program developed by the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association.
- (ii) Nationally recognized, evidence-based guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- (b) Instruction about automated external defibrillators for pupils enrolled in grades 7 to 12.