Utah - HE K-12 curriculum—safety and injury prevention (MS): Curricula
Utah State Office of Education: Secondary Health Core Curriculum
Health Education I (7th or 8th Grade)
Standard 4: Students will demonstrate the ability to apply prevention and intervention knowledge, skills, and processes to promote safety in the home, school, and community.
Objective 1: Identify personal behaviors that contribute to a safe or unsafe environment.
- a. Recognize unhealthy or potentially dangerous situations and their consequences.
- b. Identify ways to avoid dangerous situations.
- c. Discuss safety guidelines for a variety of activities at home, school, and in the community. (e.g., indoor and outdoor sports activities, recreational outings in various seasons, technology).
- d. Develop strategies to enhance personal safety (e.g., use of helmets, protective gear, seatbelts).
Objective 2: Recognize emergencies and respond appropriately.
- a. Explain how immediate response increases a victim’s chance for survival.
- b. Demonstrate basic first-aid and CPR/AED procedures.
- c. Create personal disaster safety plans (e.g., fire, earthquakes, floods, terrorism).
Objective 3: Identify and respond appropriately to harassment and violent behaviors.
- a. Identify abusive behaviors (e.g., threats, harassment, bullying, assault, domestic abuse).
- b. Recognize sexual harassment and identify methods to stop it.
- c. Describe ways to prevent and report violence at home, in school, and in the community.
- d. Investigate resources to assist those affected by abusive behaviors.