Wisconsin - HE K-12 curriculum—SEL (MS): Curricula
Wisconsin Statutes and Annotations 118.019 Human growth and development instruction.
(2) SUBJECTS. A school board may provide an instructional program in human growth and development in grades kindergarten to 12. If the school board elects to provide an instructional program under this section, when the school board establishes the curriculum for the instructional program, the school board shall make determinations as to whether and, if so, for what subjects covered in the curriculum the pupils shall be separated by gender. If an instructional program is provided, the following instructional program is recommended:
- (a) Present medically accurate information to pupils and, when age-appropriate, address the following topics:
- Methods for developing healthy life skills, including setting goals, making responsible decisions, communicating, and managing stress.
- How alcohol and drug use affect responsible decision making.
- The impact of media and one's peers on thoughts, feelings, and behaviors related to sexuality.
- Adoption resources, prenatal care, and postnatal supports.
- The nature and treatment of sexually transmitted infections.
- (c) Address self-esteem and personal responsibility, positive interpersonal skills, and healthy relationships.
- (d) Identify counseling, medical, and legal resources for survivors of sexual abuse and assault, including resources for escaping violent relationships.
- (e) Address the positive connection between marriage and parenting.
- (f) Present information about avoiding stereotyping and bullying, including how to refrain from making inappropriate remarks, avoiding engaging in inappropriate physical or sexual behaviors, and how to recognize, rebuff, and report any unwanted or inappropriate remarks or physical or sexual behaviors.