Alaska - HE K-12 curriculum—violence prevention (ES): Curricula
(a) Each district in the state public school system shall be encouraged to initiate and conduct a program in health education for kindergarten through grade 12. The program should include instruction in physical health and personal safety including alcohol and drug abuse education, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), early cancer prevention and detection, dental health, family health including infant care, environmental health, the identification and prevention of child abuse, child abduction, neglect, sexual abuse, and domestic violence, and appropriate use of health services.
(a) The governing body of each school district shall adopt and implement a policy, establish a training program for employees and students, and provide parent notices relating to sexual abuse and sexual assault awareness and prevention for students enrolled in grades kindergarten through 12.
(b) The policy, training, and notices adopted under this section must include
- (1) age-appropriate information;
- (2) warning signs of sexual abuse of a child;
- (3) referral and resource information;
- (4) available student counseling and educational support;
- (5) methods for increasing teacher, student, and parent awareness of issues regarding sexual abuse of children;
- (6) actions that a child may take to prevent and report sexual abuse or sexual assault; and
- (7) a procedure allowing a student to be excused from participating in training or from receiving notices under this section at the written request of a parent or guardian of the student, or of the student if the student is emancipated or 18 years of age or older.