Ohio - Chronic Conditions—diabetes plan: Policy requirement
Ohio Revised Code 3313.7112 Diabetes Care.
(B)(2) Not later than fourteen days after receipt of an order signed by the treating practitioner of a student with diabetes,the board of education or governing authority shall inform the student's parent, guardian, or other person having care or charge of the student that the student may be entitled to a 504 plan regarding the student's diabetes. The department of education shall develop a 504 plan information sheet for use by a board of education or governing authority when informing a student's parent, guardian, or other person having care or charge of the student that the student may been titled to a 504 plan regarding the student's diabetes.
Ohio Revised Code 3313.7112 Diabetes care.
(B)(1) Each board of education or governing authority shall ensure that each student enrolled in the school district or chartered nonpublic school who has diabetes receives appropriate and needed diabetes care in accordance with an order signed by the student's treating practitioner. The diabetes care to be provided includes any of the following:
- (a) Checking and recording blood glucose levels and ketone levels or assisting the student with checking and recording these levels;
- (b) Responding to blood glucose levels that are outside of the student's target range;
- (c) In the case of severe hypoglycemia, administering glucagon and other emergency treatments as prescribed;
- (d) Administering insulin or assisting the student in self-administering insulin through the insulin delivery system the student uses;
- (e) Providing oral diabetes medications;
- (f) Understanding recommended schedules and food intake for meals and snacks in order to calculate medication dosages pursuant to the order of the student's treating practitioner;
- (g) Following the treating practitioner's instructions regarding meals, snacks, and physical activity;
- (h) Administering diabetes medication, as long as the conditions prescribed in division (C) of this section are satisfied.