Oklahoma - Chronic Conditions—diabetes plan: Policy requirement
2017 Oklahoma Statutes 70-1210.196.3 Diabetes medical management plan.
A diabetes medical management plan shall be developed for each student with diabetes who will seek care for diabetes while at school or while participating in a school activity. The plan shall be developed by the personal health care team of each student. The personal health care team shall consist of the principal or designee of the principal, the school nurse, if a school nurse is assigned to the school, the parent or guardian of the student, and to the extent practicable, the physician responsible for the diabetes treatment of the student.
2017 Oklahoma Statutes 70-1210.195.2 Definitions
- “Diabetes medical management plan” means a document developed by the personal health care team of a student that sets out the health services that may be needed by the student at school and is signed by the personal health care team and the parent or guardian of the student;
2017 Oklahoma Statutes 70-1210.196.7 Student management of diabetes at school - Designated private area
A. In accordance with the diabetes medical management plan of a student, a school shall permit the student to attend to the management and care of the diabetes of the student, which may include:
- Performing blood glucose level checks;
- Administering insulin through the insulin delivery system used by the student;
- Treating hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia;
- Possessing on the person of the student at any time any supplies or equipment necessary to monitor and care for the diabetes of the student; and
- Otherwise attending to the management and care of the diabetes of the student in the classroom, in any area of the school or school grounds, or at any school-related activity.
B. Each school shall provide a private area where the student may attend to the management and care of the student's diabetes.
2017 Oklahoma Statutes 70-1210.196.4 School nurse to administer management plan - Volunteer diabetes care assistant - Refusal to serve as assistant
A. The school nurse at each school in which a student with diabetes is enrolled shall assist the student with the management of their diabetes care as provided for in the diabetes medical management plan for the student.
B. If a school does not have a school nurse assigned to the school, the principal shall make an effort to seek school employees who may or may not be health care professionals to serve as volunteer diabetes care assistants to assist thestudent with the management of their diabetes care as provided for in the diabetes medical management plan for thestudent.
C. Each school in which a student with diabetes is enrolled shall make an effort to ensure that a school nurse or a volunteer diabetes care assistant is available at the school to assist the diabetic student when needed.