Utah - Chronic Conditions—diabetes plan: Policy requirement
Utah Code 53G-9-506 Diabetes medication -- Possession -- Self-administration.
(2) A public school shall permit a student to possess or possess and self-administer diabetes medication if:
- (a) the student's parent or guardian signs a statement:
- (i) authorizing the student to possess or possess and self-administer diabetes medication; and
- (ii) acknowledging that the student is responsible for, and capable of, possessing or possessing and self-administering the diabetes medication; and
- (b) the student's health care provider provides a written statement that states:
- (i) it is medically appropriate for the student to possess or possess and self-administer diabetes medication and the student should be in possession of diabetes medication at all times; and
- (ii) the name of the diabetes medication prescribed or authorized for the student's use.
(3) The Utah Department of Health, in cooperation with the state superintendent of public instruction, shall design forms to be used by public schools for the parental and health care provider statements described in Subsection (2).
**Utah Code 53G-9-504 Administration of glucagon -- Training of volunteer school personnel -- Authority to use glucagon -- Immunity from liability.
(2) (a) A public school shall, within a reasonable time after receiving a glucagon authorization, train two or more school personnel who volunteer to be trained in the administration of glucagon, with training provided by the school nurse or another qualified, licensed medical professional.
- (b) A public school shall allow all willing school personnel to receive training in the administration of glucagon, and the school shall assist and may not obstruct the identification or training of volunteers under this Subsection (2).
- (c) The Utah Department of Health, in cooperation with the state superintendent of public instruction, shall design a glucagon authorization form to be used by public schools in accordance with this section