District of Columbia - Chronic Conditions: Policy requirement
Policy Or Plan Requirements
Code of the District of Columbia § 38–651.03. Medication action plan.
(a) A valid medication action plan shall include:
- (1) Written medical authorization, signed by a licensed health practitioner, that states:
- (A) The name of the student;
- (B) Emergency contact information for the responsible person, or, if the student is 18 years of age or older, another adult suitable to serve as an emergency contact;
- (C) Contact information for the licensed health practitioner;
- (D) The name, purpose, and prescribed dosage of the medication;
- (E) The frequency that the medication is to be administered;
- (F) The possible side effects of the medication as listed on the label;
- (G) Special instructions or emergency procedures; and
- (H) In the case of self-administered medication, confirmation that the student has been instructed in the proper technique for self-administration of the medication and has demonstrated the ability to self-administer the medication effectively.
(2) Written authorization, signed by the responsible person, that states:
- (A) A trained employee or agent of the school may administer medication to the student in accordance with rules established by the Mayor; or
- (B) In the case of self-administration, the student may possess and self-administer the medication at the school in which the student is currently enrolled, at school-sponsored activities, and while on school-sponsored transportation; and
- (C) The name of the student may be distributed to appropriate school staff, as determined by the principal; ...