South Carolina - Chronic Conditions: Policy requirement
South Carolina Code of Laws SECTION 59-63-80.
(B) Each school district shall adopt a policy requiring that students with special health care needs have individual health care plans. This policy must provide for the authorization of a student to self-monitor and self-administer medication as prescribed by the student's health care provider unless there is sufficient evidence that unsupervised self-monitoring or self-medicating would seriously jeopardize the safety of the student or others. The policy must include, but is not limited to:
- (1) a requirement that the student's parent or legal guardian provide to the school:
- (a) written authorization from the parent or legal guardian for the student to self-monitor and self-administer medication; and
- (b) a written statement from the student's health care practitioner who prescribed the medication verifying that the student has a medical condition and has been instructed and demonstrates competency in self-monitoring or self-administration of medications, or both.
- (2) authorization for a student to possess on his person and administer medication while:
- (a) in the classroom and in any area of the school or school grounds;
- (b) at a school-sponsored activity;
- (c) in transit to or from school or school-sponsored activities; or
- (d) during before-school or after-school activities on school-operated property.