Montana - Concussion/head injuries: Policy requirement
M.C.A. 20-7-1304. Youth athletes -- removal from participation following concussion -- medical clearance required before return to participation.
(1) An athletic trainer, coach, or official shall remove a youth athlete from participation in any organized youth athletic activity at the time the youth athlete exhibits signs, symptoms, or behaviors consistent with a concussion.
(2) A youth athlete who has been removed from participation in an organized youth athletic activity after exhibiting signs, symptoms, or behaviors consistent with a concussion may not return to organized youth athletic activities until the youth athlete:
- (a) no longer exhibits signs, symptoms, or behaviors consistent with a concussion; and
- (b) receives an evaluation by a licensed health care professional and receives written clearance to return to play from the licensed health care professional. The written clearance must state:
- (i) that the licensed health care professional has evaluated the youth athlete; and
- (ii) that in the licensed health care professional's opinion, the youth athlete is capable of safely resuming participation in organized youth athletic activities.