Ohio - Concussion/head injuries: Policy requirement
Ohio Revised Code 3313.539 Concussions and school athletics.
(D) If a student practicing for or competing in an interscholastic athletic event exhibits signs, symptoms, or behaviors consistent with having sustained a concussion or head injury while participating in the practice or competition, the student shall be removed from the practice or competition by either of the following:
- (1) The individual who is serving as the student's coach during that practice or competition;
- (2) An individual who is serving as a referee during that practice or competition.
(E) (1) If a student is removed from practice or competition under division (D) of this section, the coach or referee who removed the student shall not allow the student, on the same day the student is removed, to return to that practice or competition or to participate in any other practice or competition for which the coach or referee is responsible. Thereafter, the coach or referee shall not allow the student to return to that practice or competition or to participate in any other practice or competition for which the coach or referee is responsible until both of the following conditions are satisfied:
- (a) The student's condition is assessed by any of the following who has complied with the requirements in division (E)(4) of this section:
- (i) A physician;
- (ii) A licensed health care professional the school district board of education or governing authority of the chartered or nonchartered nonpublic school, pursuant to division (E)(2) of this section, authorizes to assess a student who has been removed from practice or competition under division (D) of this section;
- (iii) A licensed health care professional who meets the minimum education requirements established by rules adopted under section 3707.521 of the Revised Code by the professional's licensing agency.
- (b) The student receives written clearance that it is safe for the student to return to practice or competition from the physician or licensed health care professional who assessed the student's condition.