Illinois - Preventive health screenings in MS: Standards
Illinois Compiled Statutes 105 ILCS 5/27-8.1 Health examinations and immunizations
(1) In compliance with rules and regulations which the Department of Public Health shall promulgate, and except as hereinafter provided, all children in Illinois shall have a health examination as follows: within one year prior to entering kindergarten or the first grade of any public, private, or parochial elementary school; upon entering the sixth and ninth grades of any public, private, or parochial school; prior to entrance into any public, private, or parochial nursery school; and, irrespective of grade, immediately prior to or upon entrance into any public, private, or parochial school or nursery school, each child shall present proof of having been examined in accordance with this Section and the rules and regulations promulgated hereunder. Any child who received a health examination within one year prior to entering the fifth grade for the 2007-2008 school year is not required to receive an additional health examination in order to comply with the provisions of Public Act 95-422 when he or she attends school for the 2008-2009 school year, unless the child is attending school for the first time as provided in this paragraph.
Illinois Administrative Code Title 77 Section 675.110 Frequency of Screening
b) Hearing screening services shall be provided annually for all school age children who are in grades K (kindergarten), 1, 2, and 3; are in any special education class; have been referred by a teacher; or are transfer students. These screening services shall be provided in all public, private, and parochial schools. Hearing screening is recommended in grades 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12.
Illinois Administrative Code Title 77 Section 665.140 Timetable for Examinations
a) The examination shall be conducted within one year:
- 1) Before the date of entering school (this includes nursery school, special education, Head Start or other pre-kindergarten programs operated by elementary school systems or secondary level school units or institutions of higher learning; and students transferring into Illinois from outside of the State or outside of the country);
- 2) Before the date of entering kindergarten or first grade;
- 3) Before the date of entering the sixth grade;
- 4) Before the date of entering the ninth grade
Illinois Administrative Code Title 77 Section 685.110 Frequency of Screening
a) Vision screening services shall be provided annually for:
- 1) All preschool children 3 years of age (or older) in any public or private educational program or licensed child-care facility.
- 2) All school age children who are in kindergarten, second and eighth grades; in all special education classes; referred by teachers; and transfer students. Vision screening is recommended in grades 4, 6, 10 and 12. Such screening services shall be provided in all public, independent, private and parochial schools.