Alabama - School-based health services: Policy requirement
Alabama Administrative Code 290-8-9-.00: Definitions
(18) Related Services.
School health services and school nurse services means health services that are designed to enable a child with a disability to receive FAPE as described in the child's IEP. School nurse services are services provided by a qualified school nurse. School health services are services that may be provided by either a qualified school nurse or other qualified person.
Social work services in schools includes:
- (i) Preparing a social or developmental history on a child with a disability;
- (ii) Group and individual counseling with the child and family;
- (iii) Working in partnership with parents and others on those problems in a child's living situation (home, school, and community) that affect the child's adjustment in school;
- (iv) Mobilizing school and community resources to enable the child to learn as effectively as possible in his or her educational program; and
- (v) Assisting in developing positive behavioral intervention strategies.
Speech-language pathology services includes:
- (i) Identification of children with speech or language impairments;
- (ii) Diagnosis and appraisal of specific speech or language impairments;
- (iii) Referral for medical or other professional attention necessary for the habilitation of speech or language impairments;
- (iv) Provision of speech and language services for the habilitation or prevention of communicative impairments; and
- (v) Counseling and guidance of parents, children, and teachers regarding speech and language impairments.
- (i) Travel to and from school and between schools;
- (ii) Travel in and around school buildings; and
- (iii) Specialized equipment (such as special or adapted buses, lifts, and ramps), if required to provide special transportation for a child with a disability.