Maine - School nurse qualifications: Staff qualifications and professional development
Maine Revised Statutes 20-A 6403 School nurse
Each school board shall appoint at least one school nurse for the school administrative unit.
1. Duties. The school nurse shall supervise and coordinate the health services and health-related activities required by this Title.
2. Other functions. The school nurse shall also perform such other health-related activities as are assigned by the school board.
3. Appointment. To fulfill the role of school nurse, the school board shall appoint a registered professional nurse who meets any additional certification requirements established by the state board.
4. Special contract for services. The school board may provide school nurse services through special agreements with a public health agency. All nurses who serve as school nurses under those agreements shall be registered professional nurses who meet applicable certification requirements.
5. Guidelines. The commissioner shall issue guidelines on the provision of school health services and health-related activities.