New Jersey - School nurse qualifications: Staff qualifications and professional development
Staff Qualifications And Professional Development
New Jersey Statutes 18A:40-3.7 Requirements for school nurse endorsement.
- State Board of Education regulations prescribing the requirements for eligibility for an educational services certificate with a school nurse endorsement shall, at a minimum, require that a candidate for the endorsement:
- a. is licensed as a registered nurse pursuant to the provisions of P.L.1947, c.262 (C.45:11-23 et seq.);
- b. holds a bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited college or university;
- c. completes either a Department of Education-approved college curriculum for the preparation of school nurses or a program of studies, with a minimum of 21 semester hour credits, that includes study in the fundamentals of substance abuse and dependency and such other subject areas as determined by the State board , and clinical experience in a school nurse office; and
- d. completes a college-supervised school nurse practicum experience, a portion of which shall be completed in a school nurse office and a portion of which shall be completed in a classroom. The practicum experience may count toward the minimum 21 semester hour credit requirement.
New Jersey Statutes 18A:40-3.3 Employment of nursing, non-nursing personnel; definitions.
- a. A school district shall only utilize or employ for the provision of nursing services in the public schools of the district persons holding an educational services certificate with an endorsement as a school nurse issued by the State Board of Examiners, except for those non-nursing personnel who are otherwise authorized by statute or regulation to perform specific health related services.