Utah - School nurse qualifications: Staff qualifications and professional development
Utah Code 53G-9-204 Nursing Services in the Public Schools -- Collaborative efforts.
(1) (a) Students in the state's public schools may be better protected against risks to health and safety if schools were to have registered nurses readily available to assist in providing educational and nursing services in the public schools.
- (b) Those services would be further enhanced if they could be offered with the active support and participation of local public health departments and private medical providers, most particularly in those areas of the state without currently functioning collaborative programs.
- (c) (i) School districts, local health departments, private medical providers, and parents of students are therefore encouraged to work together in determining needs and risks to student health in the state's public schools and in developing and implementing plans to meet those needs and minimize risks to students.
- (ii) School community councils or school directors of affected schools shall review the plans prior to their implementation.
(2) School districts are encouraged to provide nursing services equivalent to the services of one registered nurse for every 5,000 students or, in districts with fewer than 5,000 students, the level of services recommended by the Department of Health