Colorado - Wellness leadership: Accountability
(5) On or before July 1, 2006, each school district board of education is encouraged to adopt a local wellness policy as provided for in the federal "Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004", Public Law 108-265, which provides, in part, that, not later than the first day of the school year beginning after June 30, 2006, each school district participating in a program authorized by the "Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act", 42 U.S.C. 1751 et seq., or the Child Nutrition Act of 1966, 42 U.S.C. 1771 et seq., shall establish a local school wellness policy for schools under the local educational agency that, at a minimum:
- (a) Includes goals for nutrition education, physical activity, and other school-based activities that are designed to promote student wellness in a manner that the school district determines is appropriate;
- (b) Includes nutrition guidelines selected by the local school district for all foods available on each school campus during the school day with objectives of promoting student health and reducing childhood obesity and overweight and type 2 diabetes;
- (c) Provides an assurance that guidelines for reimbursable school meals shall not be less restrictive than regulations and guidance issued by the secretary of agriculture pursuant to subsections (a) and (b) of section 10 of the Child Nutrition Act, 42 U.S.C. sec. 1779, and sections 9 (f)(1) and 17 (a) of the "Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act", 42 U.S.C. secs. 1758 (f)(1) and 1766 (a), as those regulations and guidance apply to schools;
- (d) Establishes a plan for measuring implementation of the local wellness policy, including designation of one or more persons within the school district or at each school, as appropriate, charged with operational responsibility for ensuring that the school meets the local wellness policy; and
- (e) Involves parents, representative of the school food authority, the school board and school administrators, and the public, in the development of the school wellness policy.