Kansas - Adaptive PE: Standards
K.A.R. 91-40-1. Definitions.
(xx) “Physical education” means the development of the following:
- (1) Physical and motor fitness;
- (2) fundamental motor skills and patterns; and
(3) skills in aquatics, dance, and individual and group games and sports, including intramural and lifetime sports.The term shall include special physical education, adapted physical education, movement education, and motor development.
K.S.A. 72-3404. Definitions.
(i) “Special education” means specially designed instruction provided at no cost to parents to meet the unique needs of an exceptional child, including:
- (1) Instruction conducted in the classroom, in the home, in hospitals and institutions, and in other settings; and
(2) instruction in physical education.
Kansas Secretary of State's office
K.A.R. 91-40-3. Ancillary FAPE requirements.
(c) (1) Each agency shall make physical education services, specially designed if necessary, available to every child with a disability, unless the agency does not provide physical education to any children who are enrolled in the same grade.
- (2) Each child with a disability shall be afforded the opportunity to participate in the regular physical education program available to nondisabled children unless either of the following conditions is met:
- (A) The child is enrolled full-time in a separate facility.
- (B) The child needs specially designed physical education, as prescribed in the child's IEP.