Maryland - Adaptive PE: Standards
Code of Maryland Regulations 13A.05.01.03. Definitions.
56) Physical Education.
- (a) “Physical education” means the development of:
- (i) Physical and motor fitness;
- (ii) Fundamental motor skills and patterns; and
- (iii) Skills in aquatics, dance, and individual and group games and sports, including intramural and lifetimesports.
- (b) “Physical education” includes:
- (i) Special physical education;
- (ii) Adaptive physical education;
- (iii) Movement education; and
- (iv) Motor development.
2017 Maryland Education Code 7-4B-02 Equal opportunity to participate in mainstream physical education and athletic programs.
(a) In general. -- Subject to subsection (b) of this section, the State Board and each county board shall:
- (1) Ensure that students with disabilities have an equal opportunity to:
- (i) Participate in mainstream physical education programs; and
- (ii) Try out for and, if selected, participate in mainstream athletic programs;
- (2) Ensure the provision of reasonable accommodations necessary to provide students with disabilities equal opportunity to participate, to the fullest extent possible, in mainstream physical education and mainstream athletic programs; and
- (3) Ensure that adapted, allied, or unified physical education and athletic programs are available and adequately funded by the county board.
(b) Exception. --An exception to the requirements under subsection (a) of this section may be made when the inclusion of a student:
- (1) Presents an objective safety risk to the student or to others, based on an individualized assessment of the student; or
- (2) Fundamentally alters the nature of the school's mainstream physical education or mainstream athletic program.
General Assembly of Maryland