New Mexico - PE K-12 curriculum—MS: Curricula
New Mexico Administrative Code 18.104.22.168 PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS:
(4) In fourth through eighth grades, instruction that meets academic content and performance standards shall be provided in the following subject areas:
- (l) physical education; and
- (m) health education.
New Mexico Statutes. 22-13-1. Subject areas; minimum instructional areas required; accreditation.
D. In fourth through eighth grades, instruction that meets academic content and performance standards shall be provided in the following subject areas:
- (1) reading and language arts skills, with an emphasis on writing and editing for at least one year and an emphasis on grammar and writing for at least one year;
- (2) mathematics;
- (3) language other than English;
- (4) communication skills;
- (5) science;
- (6) art;
- (7) music;
- (8) social studies;
- (9) New Mexico history;
- (10) United States history;
- (11) geography;
- (12) physical education; and
- (13) health education.
Source: New Mexico Public Education Department
New Mexico Administrative Code 22.214.171.124 REQUIREMENTS:
D. The wellness policy shall include, but shall not be limited to:
- (2) a planned, sequential, K-12 physical education curriculum that provides the optimal opportunity for all students to learn and develop skills, knowledge and attitudes necessary to personally decide to participate in lifetime healthful physical activity and is aligned to the physical education content standards with benchmarks and performance standards as set forth in 126.96.36.199 NMAC;