Ohio - PE K-12 curriculum—MS: Curricula
Ohio Revised Code 3313.60 Prescribed curriculum.
(A)(5)(c) Venereal disease education, except that upon written request of the student's parent or guardian, a student shall be excused from taking instruction in venereal disease education;
- (d) In grades kindergarten through six, instruction in personal safety and assault prevention, except that upon written request of the student's parent or guardian, a student shall be excused from taking instruction in personal safety and assault prevention;
- (e) In grades seven through twelve, age-appropriate instruction in dating violence prevention education, which shall include instruction in recognizing dating violence warning signs and characteristics of healthy relationships. In order to assist school districts in * developing a dating violence prevention education curriculum, the department of education shall provide on its web site links to free curricula addressing dating violence prevention. If the parent or legal guardian of a student less than eighteen years of age submits to the principal of the student's school a written request to examine the dating violence prevention instruction materials used at that school, the principal, within a reasonable period of time after the request is made, shall allow the parent or guardian to examine those materials at that school.
- (f) Prescription opioid abuse prevention, with an emphasis on the prescription drug epidemic and the connection between prescription opioid abuse and addiction to other drugs, such as heroin;
- (g) The process of making an anatomical gift under Chapter 2108. of the Revised Code, with an emphasis on the life-saving and life-enhancing effects of organ and tissue donation.
(6) Physical education;
(7) The fine arts, including music;
(8) First aid, including a training program in cardiopulmonary resuscitation, which shall comply with section 3313.6021 of the Revised Code when offered in any of grades nine through twelve, safety, and fire prevention. However, upon written request of the student's parent or guardian, a student shall be excused from taking instruction in cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
Ohio Revised Code 3301.079 Academic standards - model curriculum.
(3) The state board shall adopt the most recent standards developed by the national association for sport and physical education for physical education in grades kindergarten through twelve or shall adopt its own standards for physical education in those grades and revise and update them periodically. The department of education shall employ a full-time physical education coordinator to provide guidance and technical assistance to districts, community schools, and STEM schools in implementing the physical education standards adopted under this division. The superintendent of public instruction shall determine that the person employed as coordinator is qualified for the position, as demonstrated by possessing an adequate combination of education, license, and experience.