New York - PE teaches skills for a healthy life: Standards
8 CRR-NY 100.1
(a) Students will have the necessary knowledge and skills to establish and maintain physical fitness, participate in physical activity and maintain personal health.
8 CRR-NY 135.4
- (i) The curriculum shall be designed to:
- (a) promote physical activity and the attainment of physical fitness, and a desire to maintain physical fitness throughout life;
- (b) attain competency in the management of the body and useful physical skills;
- (c) emphasize safety practices;
- (d) motivate expression and communication;
- (e) promote individual and group understanding;
- (f) provide knowledge and appreciation of physical education activities;
- (g) make each individual aware of the effect of physical activity upon the body;
- (h) provide opportunities for the exercise of pupil initiative, leadership and responsibility; and
- (i) reinforce basic learnings of other areas of the total school curriculum.