State law allows PE exemptions for academics.
Florida Statutes 1003.455 Physical education; assessment.
(4) The requirement in subsection (3) shall be waived for a student who meets one of the following criteria:
- (a) The student is enrolled or required to enroll in a remedial course.
- (b) The student’s parent indicates in writing to the school that:
- The parent requests that the student enroll in another course from among those courses offered as options by the school district; or
- The student is participating in physical activities outside the school day which are equal to or in excess of the mandated requirement.