Pennsylvania - Acceptable Internet Use Policies: Policy or Plan Requirements
Pennsylvania Unconsolidated Statutes 2004 Act 197. Section 5. Public library Internet policies.
(a) Acceptable-use policy.— Within 180 days after the effective date of this act, each school board shall adopt an acceptable-use policy for the Internet. At a minimum, the policy shall contain provisions which are reasonably designed to:
- (1) Prevent students and employees of the school entity from using any computer equipment and communications services owned or leased by the school entity for sending, receiving, viewing or downloading visual depictions of obscenity, child pornography or material that is harmful to minors.
- (2) Establish appropriate measures to be taken against students and school employees who willfully violate the school entity’s acceptable-use policy.
- (3) Provide for expedited review and resolution of a claim that the policy is denying a student or school employee access to material that is not within the prohibition of the acceptable-use policy.
(b) Implementation and enforcement.— The school board shall take such steps as it deems appropriate to implement and enforce the school entity’s policy, which shall include, but need not be limited to:
- (1) use of software programs reasonably designed to block access to visual depictions of obscenity, child pornography or material that is harmful to minors; or
- (2) selection of online servers that block access to visual depictions of obscenity, child pornography or material that is harmful to minors.
(c) Copy of policy for parents or guardians.— A school entity shall provide, upon written request of a parent or guardian, a copy of the acceptable-use policy it has adopted under this act.