Indiana - Building Construction and Maintenance: Program Requirement
Indiana Code 20-19-2-12 Guidelines on selection school sites and construction, alteration, and repair of school buildings and facilities
(a) The state board shall, in the manner provided by IC 4-22-2, adopt rules setting forth nonbinding guidelines for the selection of school sites and the construction, alteration, and repair of school buildings, athletic facilities, and other categories of facilities related to the operation and administration of school corporations. The nonbinding guidelines must include:
- (1) preferred location and building practices for school corporations, including standards for enhancing health, student safety, accessibility, energy efficiency, operating efficiency, and instructional efficacy;
- (2) guidelines concerning minimum acreage, cost per square foot or cost per ADM (as defined in IC 20-18-2-2), technology infrastructure, building materials, per student square footage, and other general space requirements, including space for academics, administration and staff support, arts education and auditoriums, libraries, cafeterias, athletics and physical education, transportation facilities, and maintenance and repair facilities; and
- (3) additional guidelines that the state board considers necessary for efficient and cost effective construction of school facilities.
The state building commissioner, the office of management and budget, and the department of local government finance shall, upon request of the board, provide technical assistance as necessary for the development of the guidelines.
(b) The state board shall annually compile, in a document capable of easy revision, the:
- (1) guidelines described in subsection (a); and
- (2) rules of the:
- (A) fire prevention and building safety commission; and
- (B) state department of health;
that govern site selection and the construction, alteration, and repair of school buildings.