Tennessee - Building Construction and Maintenance: Program Requirement
Rules of the Tennessee Department of Education 0520-01-04.01 SCHOOL FACILITITES
- (1) Each school shall comply with rules, regulations, and codes of the city, county, and state regarding planning of new buildings, alterations, and safety.
- (2) Each school shall observe all fire safety regulations and procedures promulgated by the Tennessee Fire Marshal's Office.
- (a) Each school shall have at least one fire safety inspection annually. The fire safety inspections will be based on the fire safety inspection checklist developed by the Tennessee Fire Marshal's Office.
- (b) Copies of the inspection reports, including findings of non-compliance and actions taken to comply, will be maintained in the office of the director of schools and will be available for review.
- (3) Each school shall have classrooms, laboratories, and libraries which are sufficient in number, adequate in space, and so constructed and arranged as to be conducive to carrying on the assigned activities. Playgrounds and physical education facilities shall be well maintained, free from hazards, and large enough to permit an adequate program of physical education.
- (4) Every school system that constructs, remodels, renovates, expands or modifies school buildings or other structures adjunct thereto for use by children with disabilities shall submit plans and specifications for review by the Commissioner of Education. Such plans and specifications shall meet federal requirements.
- (5) For cross references to school facilities laws see the following:
- (a) Minimum size of high schools, T.C.A. § 49-6-403.
- (b) Requirement for licensed architect or engineer, T.C.A. § 62-2-107.
- (c) Requirement for licensed contractor, T.C.A. §§ 62-6-102 and 62-6-103.
- (d) Bidding and contracting for construction of school buildings, T.C.A. § 49-2-203(a)(4).