Virginia - Building Construction and Maintenance: Program Requirement
Virginia Administrative Code 8VAC20-131-260. School Facilities and Safety.
A. Each school shall be maintained in a manner ensuring compliance with the Virginia Statewide Building Code (13VAC5-63). In addition, the school administration shall:
- Maintain a physical plant that is accessible, barrier free, safe, and clean;
- Provide for the proper outdoor display of flags of the United States and of the Commonwealth of Virginia;
- Provide suitable space for classrooms, administrative staff, pupil personnel services, library and media services, and for the needs and safety of physical education;
- Provide adequate, safe, and properly-equipped laboratories to meet the needs of instruction in the sciences, technology, fine arts, and career and technical programs;
- Provide facilities for the adequate and safe administration and storage of student medications; and
- Carry out the duties of the threat assessment team established by the division superintendent and implement policies established by the local school board related to threat assessment, pursuant to § 22.1-79.4of the Code of Virginia.