District of Columbia - Chemical Hazards: Prohibitions
D.C. Code 38–825.01. Environmental programs office.
(b) The District of Columbia Public Schools shall:
- (1) Use environmentally friendly cleaning supplies in public schools; provided, that the agency may exhaust its current supply of conventional cleaners; and
- (2) Prepare and transmit to the Mayor, the Council, and the Healthy Schools and Youth Commission, on or before December 31, 2012, a plan to use sustainable products in serving meals to students.
(c) On or before December 31, 2012, the Mayor shall prepare and transmit to the Council a comprehensive report describing the implementation of recycling, composting, energy-reduction, pest management, air quality, and environmentally friendly cleaning supplies programs in public schools. The report shall include:
- (1) A thorough, school-by-school breakdown of the waste stream in public schools, including tonnages, components, and diversion rates;
- (2) Baseline energy usage, an analysis of usage patterns, and savings achieved;
- (3) Recommendations and a timeline for further implementing these programs; and
- (4) A proposal for recognizing and rewarding schools that significantly improve their environmental portfolio.