Indiana - Corporal Punishment: Prohibitions or Restrictions
Indiana Code 20-33-8-8 Responsibilities of school corporation and students — Rights of school corporation personnel.
(a) Student supervision and the desirable behavior of students in carrying out school purposes is the responsibility of:
- (1) a school corporation; and
- (2) the students of a school corporation.
(b) In all matters relating to the discipline and conduct of students, school corporation personnel:
- (1) stand in the relation of parents to the students of the school corporation;
- (2) have the right to take any disciplinary action necessary to promote student conduct that conforms with an orderly and effective educational system, subject to this chapter; and
- (3) have qualified immunity with respect to a disciplinary action taken to promote student conduct under subdivision (2) if the action is taken in good faith and is reasonable.
(c) Students must:
- (1) follow responsible directions of school personnel in all educational settings; and
- (2) refrain from disruptive behavior that interferes with the educational environment.