Utah - Corporal Punishment: Prohibitions or Restrictions
Utah Administrative Code R277-609-11. Model Policies.
(1) The Superintendent shall develop, review regularly, and provide to LEA boards model policies to address disruptive student behavior and appropriate consequences.
(2) The Superintendent shall provide technical assistance to LEAs in developing and implementing policies and training employees in the appropriate use of physical force and emergency safety interventions to the extent of resources available.
Utah Code 53G-8-301. Definitions.
As used in this part:
(1) "Corporal punishment" means the intentional infliction of physical pain upon the body of a student as a disciplinary measure.
(2) "Physical escort" means a temporary touching or holding of the hand, wrist, arm, shoulder, or back for the purpose of guiding a student to another location.
(3) "Physical restraint" means a personal restriction that immobilizes or significantly reduces the ability of a student to move the student's arms, legs, body, or head freely.
(4) "School" means a public or private elementary school, secondary school, or preschool.
(5) "Student" means an individual who is:
- (a) under the age of 19 and receiving educational services; or
- (b) under the age of 23 and receiving educational services as an individual with a disability.
Utah State Legislature
Utah Code 53G-8-302. Prohibition of corporal punishment -- Use of reasonable and necessary physical restraint.
(1) A school employee may not inflict or cause the infliction of corporal punishment upon a student.
(2) A school employee may use reasonable and necessary physical restraint in self defense or when otherwise appropriate to the circumstances to:
- (a) obtain possession of a weapon or other dangerous object in the possession or under the control of a student;
- (b) protect a student or another individual from physical injury;
- (c) remove from a situation a student who is violent; or
- (d) protect property from being damaged, when physical safety is at risk.
Utah Administrative Code R277-608-2. Definitions.
(1) "Corporal punishment" means the intentional infliction of physical pain upon the body of a minor child as a disciplinary measure.